Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance recently assessed the Environmental Management System at the La Reserva Club de Golf in Sotogrande as part of the ISO 14001:2015 standard and awarded the certificate until 2020. ISO 14001:2015 is a way to implement systems and practices to enhance environmental performance and become more sustainable.
The Golf Club has been adhering to these environmental standards since 2011 and is striving to lessen its environmental impact each and every day. Over the last year, we have taken the following steps to become more environmentally friendly –
● Reduction of water use for irrigation
● Increasing the amount of native forest on and around the course
● Reduction of irrigation areas. Saving water, reducing the use of pesticides, wear of machinery and labour
● Improving our waste management systems and processes
We know how important it is for each individual and company to continue to improve in this area. For this year, we have the following plans in place to reduce further our use of resources and minimise our impact on the stunning countryside of Sotogrande.
In 2018 we are –
● Continuing with our reduction of water use for irrigation
● Reducing our energy usage in our irrigation system
● Reducing our use of pesticides
● Implementing a fertirrigation system to fertilize the course while reducing water consumption and how much fertilizer needs to be used
● Promoting the natural fauna and flora on the course and helping it to thrive
● Raising awareness of our environmental management certification to reassure members that we are doing everything possible to improve our environmental credentials and inspire others to follow suit.
At La Reserva Club de Golf, we strongly believe in the positive impact that golf courses can have on the environment, to support native plant species and ensure that building density is low, providing a sanctuary for wildlife. Only through successful environmental management can we play this important role, while offering a stunning course for our members to play on. This is a responsibility we take very seriously and will continue to invest in for the good of the environment and the benefit of our members.